Environmental Public Health
Environmental Public Health is now open to the public.
Environmental Public Health is a department of Jefferson County Public Health. Governed by a local Board of Health, we provide a wide array of public health and human services. We strive to protect the health of all Jefferson County residents by promoting healthy communities and environments.
What We Do
The Environmental Public Health Division of Jefferson County Public Health manages:
- A conservation futures program that preserves open space, working farms and habitat.
- A drinking water program to review water availability and quality.
- A food program that licenses and inspects food services.
- A septic system program that reviews, issues and monitors septic permits and systems.
- A community safety program that monitors infectious diseases carried by wildlife and inspects and licenses public pools and spas.
- A solid waste program that permits and monitors the performance of waste facilities, provides pollution prevention support, and supports waste reduction through recycling and composting.
- A water quality program that monitors the health of marine waters, rivers, streams and lakes.
- Water resources planning activities.