- Departments F-Z
- Search & Rescue (SAR)
Search & Rescue (SAR)
ResponsibilitiesSearch and Rescue (SAR) is about people who care helping people in need. The SAR Council is made up of individuals who volunteer their time and efforts, so that others may live. The Council is made up of several different groups with different specialties.
Authorized and administered through the Jefferson County Sheriff's office, SAR activities include:
- Searching for individuals who have not returned when expected. These have included hunters, hikers, snowmobilers, skiers, bikers, the young, and the elderly.
- Assisting/rescuing people who have become injured or are otherwise unable to get themselves out of the field. This has included individuals injured after falling from horseback, individuals who have lost their way in the mountains or in the forests, and individuals who have become otherwise injured during wilderness activities.
- Assisting in the mobilization of firefighting apparatus during large wildfires.
- Performing safety patrols during certain public events.
- Providing Amateur Radio support during searches, rescues, and disasters such as floods.
- Responding to requests from the Department of Emergency Management for assistance with various activities during natural disasters.
- Many other efforts including specialized efforts involving air searches, mountain rescues, water searches and rescues, and dog, and horse searches.