Appealing a Lost Case


 No party may appeal a judgment where the amount claimed is less than $250. If an appeal is taken to the Superior Court, the appealing party is required to follow the procedures set out in Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 12.36. The following steps must be taken within 30 days of the entry of judgment:

  1. Prepare a written Notice of Appeal and file it with the District Court.
  2. Serve a copy of that Notice on the other parties, and file acknowledgment or affidavit of service in District Court.
  3. Deposit at the District Court the $230 Superior Court filing fee either in cash, money order, or cashier's check, a $20 District Court transcript fee and a $40 appeal preparation processing fee to the District Court.
  4. Post a cash or surety bond in a sum equal to twice the amount of judgment and costs, or twice the amount in controversy, whichever is greater, (cash or surety) made payable to Clerk at the District Court.

When the appeal and bond are transferred to Superior Court, the appellant (person appealing the decision) may request that the Superior Court suspend enforcement of the judgment until after the appeal is heard. Within 14 days of filing the Notice of Appeal, the District Court Clerk will transmit the court record designated by the appealing party to the Superior Court Clerk who will assign a new number and notify the District Court. The District Court Clerk will advise the appellant of that number, and the appellant must then contact the Superior Court for further instructions.

Once the judgment has been appealed to the Superior Court, enforcement of any judgments entered in the case will be handled in Superior Court in the same manner as any other Superior Court judgment.