Resources for Homeowners
Low-Interest Loan Program
Jefferson County and nonprofit lender Craft3 are partners in the regional Clean Water Loan program which offers affordable loans to repair or replace failing septic systems and, if approved by the county, to connect to municipal sewer systems.
Loan features include:
- Finances the full cost of designing, permitting, installing and maintaining your septic system.
- Competitive interest rates and no up-front costs.
- Highly inclusive for a range of incomes and property types (including commercial and non-owner occupied).
- Deferred payment options may be available for homeowners with lower incomes.
- All loans include a $2,000 reserve to support the system’s ongoing health.
Homeowner Authorization for Septic System Monitoring InspectionsThe online offering monitoring inspection training for property owners, is now active. We also offer the training in a classroom format twice a year. Check the class schedule for the current schedule.
A goal of the program is to provide information about septic system operations, maintenance, and inspections as well as making it easier for the homeowner to complete most monitoring inspections at a more reasonable cost. The training courses for the program are offered free of charge to the attendees.
Most systems are eligible to participate - conventional gravity, pressure distribution, mounds, and sand filters. Some system must be inspected by a certified operation and monitoring (O&M) specialist or licensed designer - aerobic treatment devices, glendon biofilters, drip irrigation, and other proprietary products. Contact the Environmental Health Division if you are uncertain about what type of system you have.
Steps for Authorization
- Verify if your system is eligible for homeowner inspection on the http://septicdiy.jeffcowa.us/ verify system eligibility and register page.
- Register on the homeowner authorization for septic inspections webpage.
- Take the online training, 201 and take the quizzes or sign up for a live class. and
- Read and acknowledge the authorized homeowner application.
- Pay the $12 authorization fee.
- Septics 101 - Basics of septic system operation and maintenance. This class is available online and may be offered in a classroom format.
- Septics 201 - Step by step inspection of the septic system and reporting the results. This class is available online and may be offered in a classroom format.