For Immediate Release
August 31, 2018
Contact: Anna McEnery
The Jefferson County Accessible Community Advisory Committee (ACAC)
The Jefferson County Accessible Community Advisory Committee, (ACAC) is looking for additional projects for the next grant cycle. Jefferson County established an active cross-disability Accessible Community Advisory Committee, (ACAC) in accordance with the Accessible Communities Act and the Governor’s Committee on Disability Issues and Employment. Since 2015 the County has received more than $73,000 in funding for projects focused on raising awareness and acceptance of people with disabilities through education, access and barrier removal.
In order to create a local ACAC, Anna McEnery of JCPH (and on behalf of the Jefferson County Board of Commissioners), pulled together a group of people who have a disability and/or work in the field, volunteer or are a family member of a person with a disability. Membership has fluctuated, but the following people are currently official members of the ACAC: Colleen Faragher-Horwell, Roland Faragher-Horwell, Sarah Grossman, Carl Hanson, Emily Mandelbaum, Mark Mc Cauley, Kim Rafferty, Pat Teal and Shirley Williams.
In 2017/2018, the Jefferson County ACAC applied for and received $48,291.00 in grant funding. The following is a list of local projects that met the objectives of improving awareness, acceptance, inclusion and access for people with disabilities in our community.
- ADA Access at Jefferson County Fairgrounds-Improve Parking Lot
- ADA Access at Jefferson County Fairgrounds-Sidewalk extension
- Project Lifesaver (Tracking Devices) for the Sheriff's Department
- ADA Accessible Main Doors at Public Health (Matching Funds)
- ADA Accessible Main Doors at the Coyle Community Center (Matching Funds)
- Assistive Listening Devices-for the City of Port Townsend (Matching Funds)
- Co-sponsorship of two films connected with disabilities at PT Film Festival
If you have an idea for a grant project or would like additional information about the Accessible Community Advisory Committee, please call 360-385-9410 or send an email to: email@example.com.
Always Working for a Safer and Healthier Community