Can I obtain a parenting plan as a part of the paternity action?

A parenting plan is not required to obtain a paternity judgment or child support. The paternity judgment will only state who is the custodial parent of the child (who the child resides with most of the time), unless the parties agree to a parenting plan. Usually the parenting plans are completed after the paternity judgment. However, the parties can obtain a parenting plan during the paternity process. The Prosecuting Attorney’s Office does not take a position or become involved in parenting plans. The parties may come to an agreement over the parenting plan and file it with the court and serve copies on the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office. If the parties are unable to agree to a parenting plan, the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office may suggest a temporary parenting plan.

The Jefferson County Superior Court’s Clerk Office provides a family facilitator which may assist with parenting plan issues, such as explaining the family law process, identifying forms, scheduling hearings, and reviewing paperwork for completeness. They cannot provide legal advice or help fill out forms. This service is offered Wednesdays from 8:30am until 3:30pm on a walk-in basis. More information may be found at the Jefferson County Superior Court website or by contacting the Facilitator at (360) 385-9124

Show All Answers

1. I know who the biological father of my child is. How do I get child support?
2. What is a "presumed father?"
3. What is a paternity affidavit?
4. Where do I get a blank Washington State paternity affidavit?
5. The father of my child is deceased. Can I still get paternity established?
6. How do I find out if I am the father of a child?
7. Will the Prosecuting Attorney's Office do a paternity test for me?
8. My name is on the child's birth certificate. How can I get a paternity test to make sure I am the father?
9. I was served with a Petition to Decide Paternity, what should I do?
10. What happens after a response to the Petition to Decide Paternity?
11. The genetic testing has confirmed that I am the father; however, I want to request a deviation from the proposed child support payment. What should I do?
12. Can I obtain a parenting plan as a part of the paternity action?
13. Will I get back child support as a part of the paternity action?
14. How long does a paternity case take?
15. Does the Family Support Division or the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office represent me?
16. What if the father admits he is the father?
17. What do I have to do for genetic testing?
18. Do I have to pay for genetic testing?
19. How long does it take to get genetic testing results?
20. How do I get the Amended Birth Certificate with the father's name on it?
21. I now have a court date, what should I do?
22. Who do I talk to when the parenting plan has been violated?
23. The parenting plan has not been violated, but I am concerned that the other parent may disappear with my child. What can I do to prevent that?