I now have a court date, what should I do?

Many people ask if they have to come to court. The answer is that you are not under subpoena to appear in court and the Court will not issue a warrant if you do not attend. However, it is in your best interest to participate fully in this process and to come to court on the day of your hearing. Please plan on arriving 15 minutes before court is scheduled to begin. Please plan on setting aside half the day for the hearing.

The Jefferson County Superior Court hears modifications and adjustments on Fridays at 2:00pm. The Prosecuting Attorney’s Office will schedule the hearing and send notice to all parties through USPS mail. If you cannot attend the hearing, please contact the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office and they will attempt to reschedule the hearing. Please contact them as soon as you learn you cannot attend the hearing. You can also request a continuance by filing paperwork with the Superior Court.

If you are planning to come to court, please let us know if you need any accommodations in terms of language interpreters or disability accommodations.

You will have a chance to address (talk to) the Judge or Commissioner during the hearing. Often, the parties are limited to five minutes. While some people choose to hire an attorney to represent them, many do not. You may find it helpful to write down the points that you want to convey to the Court.

If you plan on testifying at the hearing for a petition to modify child support order, you must file a Motion to Allow Testimony (About Modifying Child Support) (FL Modify 503) within 10 days of the hearing. The motion must be filed with the Jefferson County Superior Court’s Clerks Office and served on all parties, including the Jefferson County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office. These forms are available at the Washington Courts’ website.

The court will make a final decision at the end of the hearing. You will know the result before you leave court.

Show All Answers

1. I think my child Support amount should be raised (or lowered). What should I do?
2. If my Child Support Order meets the criteria for review, what happens next?
3. I was served with a Petition to Modify Child Support, what should I do?
4. I received a Motion to Adjust Child Support Order, what should I do?
5. How does the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office calculate the child support payment?
6. What should I do if I need a deviation from the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office proposed child support transfer payment?
7. I now have a court date, what should I do?
8. Is there childcare available at Court?
9. I am unemployed and no longer able to pay my child support. What should I do?
10. I went back to school full-time and now don't have any income. Will you lower my support?
11. What if I need my parenting plan established or modified?
12. I have a new baby with a new partner, does that matter?
13. Can I be required to pay for a child's daycare and special child rearing expenses?
14. My kids are now teenagers and they are involved in a lot of activities. Can you help?
15. What do we do about college?
16. Can someone in your office help me fill out my paperwork?
17. What happens when there is a history of domestic violence in my case.
18. What if the paying parent isn't paying?
19. How do I obtain copies of my court orders?