How do I collect my money?
A money judgment in your favor does not necessarily mean that the money will be paid. The Small Claims Court does not collect the judgment for you. If no appeal is taken and the judgment is not paid within 30 days, or the time set by the Court in the payment plan, you may request (in writing) that the judgment be transferred into the civil docket of the Court. At that time you may proceed with a method of collection such as garnishment of wages, bank accounts, and other monies of the defendant or an execution may be issued on cars, boats, or other personal property of the judgment debtor. Remember, the clerks are prohibited by law from providing you legal advice. You may need the assistance of an attorney or collection agency at this point. In the alternative, upon payment of $20, you will receive a transcript of judgment which you can file in the Superior Court for a fee of $15.

Other fees may be required by the Superior Court Clerk or County Auditor. When this is done, it places a lien against all real estate in the name of the judgment debtor that is located in the county. When the judgment has been paid in full you must send written notice to the District Court that the judgment has been satisfied.

Show All Answers

1. Who can sue and be sued?
2. How much does it cost to file a claim?
3. How do I file against a corporation?
4. How do I file against a sole proprietorship, partnership or a DBA?
5. Can I counterclaim a charge?
6. How is the Notice of Small Claim form served?
7. When will the case be heard?
8. What is a typical case?
9. What if we settle?
10. What is first appearance mediation?
11. What happens at the trial?
12. How do I collect my money?
13. Can I appeal a decision?
14. Can you appeal a case if you lose?